Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Little Things

having someone with steady employment is the greatest thing.. there isnt that constant worry, or dread... now there is continued HOPE and better things to come. We are talking about buying our first home next year... can't believe that we will be able to continue with our dream. I knew it would happen, just seemed like forever to get here.

Once we find our home, and get it fixed up, the year after that, we will plant a big garden, in hopes of learning to can, and preserve all of what we grow. Depending on where we will be living, we hope to get Urban Chickens.. I was born on a farm, and loved that life, but when you live in a huge city, its very hard to have that "urban farm life". But we will get there. Just takes a bit of planning, time and money.

Another item on our agenda will be the purchasing of Mason Bees. They are a native Bee to Oregon, and I find them truly fascinating. They don't sting unless you try and really do them harm, and they are the best pollinators.. I found a website that has directions on how to build your own Mason Bee Houses.
http://www.citygirlfarming.com/Bees/BeeKeeping.html

Seems funny, that the generation that I am, we as parents and even non-parents are finding ways to be urban farmers, not only for the fun, but the fresh food. I made a promise to myself, if we ever got a lot of money, I would buy urban land, turn it into a public garden, and all people had to pay for was the water, as long as they up keep it, they can take up to 20 lbs of food a week.

I grew up on the fresh stuff, and was super lean then, and then as I got older, I lost my way, but with the help of Modern medicine, I learned that I am Insulin Resistant, so basically if I over do it on carbs, it turns to sugar, that doesnt get processed, thus turning to fat. ICK, so, while planning my life, and my garden, just thinking of all the sweat i'll use up... amazing

My son, who is 2.5 will be raised with a garden, compost pile, his own bees, urban chickens, and other little critters. This seems normal for me and my family. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me here, and I'll see if I can help. I have a wonderful green thumb, and if I don't know the answer, I know lots of other Urban/Rural Farmers that will...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Your Comment :)